Tuesday 14 May 2013

Paris - city I loved

Before I left for my adventures in France and Switzerland I watched the Woody Allen movie Midnight in Paris. Owen Wilson stars as a writer entranced by both Paris and the past, who each night at midnight is transported to the 1920's in a vintage limousine. Once there he encounters so many artistic greats of the 1920's; Gertrude Stein, Zelda and F. Scott Fitzgerald, Pablo Picasso, Ernest Hemingway --   in some ways I wish I had paid better attention to my lessons in literature and art because I know I missed some references. From the movie I had two great expectations for Paris. One, I expected it to be as stunning as the scenes portrayed Paris to be. Two, I expected to actually feel that romantic and artistic atmosphere that inspired so many before. In the movie Marion Cotillard's character remarks, "That Paris exists and anyone could choose to live anywhere else in the world will always be a mystery to me," and I was ready to see what the hype was about.  Sooooooo it's safe to say the movie had set me up with some extraordinary expectations for Paris. 
Scene from the movie - not me if you were confused

We hopped on a train from Tours to Paris and within an hour and a half we were waiting for the boys to meet us at the hostel. With limited time in Paris we decided to go straight for the Eiffel Tower. At this point in time I actually had butterflies in my stomach. Would it be disappointing, I mean hey the French actually petitioned to have it torn down after it was first revealed...

NOPE. It was fantastic, striking, beautiful, iconic, tre tre tre magnifique!! We got there just as the sun was setting and on our rise to the top it lit up. The view was fantastic from the top but I think seeing the Eiffel Tower itself in person - a symbol of Paris and France, a symbol of fantasy and enchantment -- was the most emotionally striking moment of study abroad thus far. Already bewitched by Paris' spell, and crepe in hand we wandered to the Latin Quarter in search of a bar. We settled on a cute cafe on the cobbled streets still serving beer and sat outside. 
TA DAAA - still doesnt capture what it was like in person


Everyone in front of the Eiffel Tower

The girls taking a selfie in front of very imporant stuff





















Tuileries Garden
The next day we woke up early for a free guided tour of Paris' most famous spots. We were led from Notre Dame, down to the River Seine (under the most disgusting bridge -- public urination is legal), up past the Louvre, through Tuileries Garden to the Champ de Elysee. In 2 and a half hours we were provided with a spark notes guide to the history of Paris and an insider tip to the "secret" entrance to the Louvre in which there is little to no line. 

View of back of Notre Dame - Prettier than expected

The Louvre 

The gang in front of Notre Dame

Inside Notre dame
Inside the Louvre

View of the river seine


After the tour we walked and climbed to the top of the Arc de triomphe and gained another fabulous view of Paris. Although it is a spectacular monument I do not understand why they do not have better traffic regulation surrounding it (a dozen boulevards converge in a free for all around it). Excited but losing steam we then doubled back to the Louvre. I was able to fight my way to the front of the crowd to see the Mona Lisa, but I have to say the Louvre itself was the most impressive demonstration of art there. Alas I needed another week alone to see everything and we were all exhausted so we laid out on the lawn in front of the Louvre after it closed - and yes I got very sunburned. We had a french meal (sorry dad no fromage) and then went to a club that was free for international students with get this ---  A SLIDE. I dont care how old I am I thought it was great. 
view from top of Arc

another view from top of Arc



Dont I look excited
Once again we had an early morning as we took a train to go see the Sun King's great palace, Versailles. Admittedly the weather was not that great and that probably influenced my lack of excitement over Versailles. It was very beautiful and some of the rooms fantastic, but compared to the Louvre I was underwhelmed. Part of the problem I think was it was raining when we went to see the gardens, which were also under construction. BUT thats not to say it was not cool and unlike anything I would see in the States. An excuse to come back and see if I still feel the same way! 

In Versailles - ok pretty cool in retrospect

Outside of Versailles

Ok starting to question what I was smoking when I said it wasn't spectacular

A little to rainy at the gardens

Jenny the little Parisian
After that we wandered back to the main stretch in Paris and even searched the Latin Quarter for the steps Owen Wilson's character disappeared on each night in midnight - no luck but maybe we were meant to find that magic elsewhere. We spent sunset at Sacre Coeur, a Catholic church at the highest point of the city. It was a fitting end to the Parisian journey as it gave us a spectacular view of all of the great monuments. Even as someone wholly lacking in romanticism and artistic talent, I can see the appeal of Paris to those not lacking. Lets just say you wouldn't have to twist my arm to get me to slap on a red lip, drink a glass of wine and reflect on the balcony of a Parisian apartment.

The view that makes me wish I was a tortured artist
Sacre Coeur







Jenny and I had to call it an early night because we had to wake up at 5 am to catch out flight to the great country of Switzerland! 

No comments:

Post a Comment